Nothing says end of summer to me more than biting into a sweet, juicy plum.
This cake, which combines summer fruitiness with warm fall spices, helps ease the transition between the seasons. If you don’t happen to have a plum tree nearby, now is the perfect time to pick up a few stone fruit like plums and peaches at your local farmers market. This cake is so easy to make and requires such simple ingredients, you’ll likely already have them in the pantry.
End-of-Summer Plum Cake
- Springform pan
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp cardamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 8 tbsp butter (one stick)
- 3 plums, each cut into 8 wedges (about 1 lb). Be sure tochoose firm, not overripe plums.
- Sprinkle of powdered sugar (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar with mixer for a couple of minutes, until soft and fluffy. Stir in vanilla and eggs. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom.
- Alternate mixing flour mixture and milk into creamed butter until thoroughly combined.
- Pour thick batter into a greased cake pan. I like to use a springform pan so everyone can see the prettiness of the cake.
- Place plum slices in a circular pattern on the cake until most of the batter is covered.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 min until done.
- After cooled sprinkle powder sugar on top. (Optional)